[evlatests] Temperature-sensitivity meeting at 10AM

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Dec 2 11:08:48 EST 2011

    I'm assured by the NSF panel chair that if they need to question me,
they will do this before 10AM.

    So, we should be good to meet in the auditorium to discuss the
dependency of gain, and potentially other effects, on the vertex room
temperature.  I'll present some plots showing how sensitive the gain is
on temperature, and on how well the PDif calibration removes this
dependency (short answer:  very well indeed!).  I'll also show some
other changes which are *potentially* caused by these temperature
variations, notably the bandpass.  Keith will show plots of the actual
vertex room temperature variations during the run.
    We have also measured the sensitivity of gain on rack temperature --
due to an 'unscheduled event' in ea07 -- plots will be shown.

    The questions are:

    1) What are the specs for vertex room, and rack temperature
stability?  Are we meeting them?
    2) What are the consequences to the data due to these temperature
changes?  Are these adequately calibrateable?
    3) What other problems -- not yet discovered in the data -- might
occur due to the observed changes in temperature?  What tests -- if any
-- should be performed to uncover these?
    4) If it is decided that better temperature control is needed, how
do we do this, what is the cost, and how long will it take?

    All are invited!

    Rick