[evlatests] Switch Issues

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Aug 8 19:06:37 EDT 2011

    One more report, and I promise to go away and be quiet for a couple
of weeks ....

    The original purpose of the SST is to check for faulty switches.  In
the 2-hour test, there are a total of about 2700 switch change commands
(13 scans * 8 bands * 26 antennas).  (We could multiply this by 4 if we
considered  each IF as separate, which we probably do).

    For all these changes, only 2 'hard' failures occurred (no fringes
at all):  ea16 at L-band on all IFs at 10:03, ea16 on IFs B and D at
L-band at 10:12, and ea16 on IFs A and C at Ka band at 9:59.

    The usual set of hard-to-summarize behavior was seen in the
amplitude stability amongst the various bands.  I note here only the
most egregious ones:

    1) 9CD, 25AB and 18 on all IFs at L-band.  The situation with 18 at
L-band is particularly terrible!  As usual, these gain changes are
accompanied by bandpass changes of a few percent.

    2) 25CD at X-band.   In general, only X-band shows instability on
single IFs.  At all other bands, the changes in amplitude are nearly
always the same on both IFs of a single polarization, and the two
polarizations are quite independent.

    3) It is hard to make definitive statements for Ku, K, Ka, and Q
bands, as the SNR is lower, and (more importantly), pointing variations
are dominant.

    4) 7AB and 18D at S-band.

    5) 7AB, 9CD, and 11CD at C-band.  11CD is particularly bad, with
fast changes within the scans!