[evlatests] Integer zeros slipping through?

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Apr 29 15:50:31 EDT 2011

    A further addendum to this:

    The program which loads data into AIPS has been trained to remove
records with integer zero values.  What I hadn't really appreciated is
that the program only removes records for which *all* of the
visibilities are integer zero.  This means every channel for every
polarization for every subband.  If so much as a single visibility was
non-integer zero, the whole record (zeros and all) was passed.   Most of
this was quite harmless, since the zero visibilities also had zero
weights.  It was  Eric's TYAPL problem which made the data visible.
    So with the fix that Eric has now put in, these zero visibilities
will again be harmless to imaging, calibration, etc.
    But the question then moves to:  Why are they there at all?   The
zeros are not just in the last record of a scan (as I had earlier
reported).  My 6cm data shows long stretches of zero data for some
subbands, in the middle of a scan.  Although these records will no
longer harm users directly, they do represent some sort of malfunction
upstream.