[evlatests] Sensitivity Losses at edge of 1 GHz bandpass

Barry Clark bclark at nrao.edu
Tue Sep 21 13:24:11 EDT 2010

About as expected, qualitatively, but the numbers are a little
different than I would have expected.  It seems to display a clipping
noise floor at about -15 dB.  This is clipping noise from the
requantizer.  Clipping noise from the digitizer is a few dB further
down.  I would have expected the requantizer clipping noise to come
in at about -20 dB.  Somebody should look and see if the requantizer
power is low for subband zero.  I rather think it is.  If so, when
we implement requantizer level control, which we need to do anyway to
handle 3bit, we should get another few dB, which will pick up another
three channels or so.  In theory (I doubt if it's worth the work),
we could pick up another few dB, to the digitizer quantization noise,
by going to 7 bit correlation, which only picks up one or two more
channels.

I vaguely remember being told that the subband zero filter rolls off
harder to zero frequency than other subbands to avoid the poisonous
effect of digitizer DC offsets on the requantizer.  If so, it is
overdone - the DC offsets we see are only about 0.1 sigma, which
shouldn't be much problem; at worst they may force Hanning smoothing.
We may even be able to do something constructive by removing this
slope in the shape of subband zero in the digital filter, to boost
the low end above the requantizer noise (basically, the Dolby
principle).

Three bit digitizers are quite another game.  We are limited by the
digitizer clipping noise from the beginning, at about -17 dB.  Things
will be helped somewhat by the bandpass slope corrector, but it has
its limitations; it can't do anything about something that affects
mainly subband 0 as the 8bit path does.  And we may need the extra
rolloff, because the DC offsets run to at least 0.5 sigma, and WBC
spectra seem to indicate that the DC spike is slightly resolved.  We
could attack the latter problem by the rather heroic measure of using
the input lookup table to subtract a DC offset, in steps of half a bit
(if I remember how the thing works).

To summarize:  as things are now, we lose about 20 MHz at the bottom
of the band.  There are options to explore in software and firmware
that might reduce the loss to about 10 MHz.  The hardware slope
equalizer would straightforwardly reduce the loss to perhaps 4 MHz.
The three bit path probably will show the same problem to some degree,
but to what degree is pretty well unknown.