[evlatests] One more (confusing) results

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Sep 17 19:53:13 EDT 2010

    Ken ran an 8-bit path test, turning off the fringe rotators, to
compare the noise levels with those with the rotators on.  The goal was
to see if there was a similar, mysterious reduction in the apparently
noise when the rotators are off.

    There is!  In fact, the rms noise levels with the fringe rotators
turned off, are definitely below theoretical, given what we think the
antenna sensitivities are.  With the fringe rotators on, we get, for all
baselines except those with 12R, a noise level of 0.140 Jy.  With the
rotators off, these values drop to 0.115 -- a ratio of 0.82, the same
ratio we get with the 3-bit path.
    For the record, the rms noise expected is given by, for a single
polarization product:

    SEFD/(CorrEff.sqrt(2.B.t)), where

    SEFD = antenna system equivalent flux density:  about 250 Jy at best
for Cband.  CorrEff is the correlator efficiency -- perhaps 0.92?  B is
the BW -- 2MHz for these tests, and t = integration time -- 1 second.
Plugging these numbers in, we expect  0.135 or so -- as we see with
rotators on.