[evlatests] 2GHz-wide passbands

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 9 15:52:28 EDT 2010

    Time for some good news.

    I've looked at one of the 3-bit 'wideband' tests taken yesterday
afternoon.

    I removed a multi-subband delay from each, and then solved for the
absolute bandpass.  The results show a smoothly varying (across
frequency) phase and amplitude across the entire 2 GHz subband width.
    There is negligible overall slope in the amplitude -- the adjustment
by the 'slope filters' has worked well.
    The maximum variance in spectral power is quite small for all
antennas except 22A.  For the others, the range is about 5 dB.  For 22A
it is 7 dB.
    The 'mean' spectral power, as judged by these cross-power bandpass
solutions looks like this (in dB)

    Mean Sp. Power

12A      -24
12C      -21
15A      -21
15C      -20
22A      -28
22C      -21
28A      -23
28C      -22

    Note that, once again, 22A stands out.  It has (by far) the lowest
correlated signal, and it has the largest variation in its bandpass.  It
also has -- by far -- the largest rms noise in the correlation
products.    Presuming that the analog power meter being used to set the
attenuators does not lie, there is within this particular antenna, prior
to the sampler, a large additional source of uncorrelated noise.

    I tried to look at the autocorrelation spectra -- curiously, these
were only available for antennas 12 and 22.  I thought we were to get
all of them now, with the change of antenna 27 to 12?
    Amongst the total power spectra available, there are some bizarre
problems ...

    Rick