[evlatests] 3-bit tests -- 7 Sept.

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 8 12:09:33 EDT 2010

    With a little more time this morning, I reviewed the results from
yesterday.

    The most mysterious aspect to me is the overall much higher rms
values for all baselines.  In our tests from last week, the LCP side
showed noise 'close' to the expected values.  In particular, the
baseline 15 x 22 in LCP was consistently at about 0.17 Jy - close to the
expected value of 0.16.

    But from yesterday's test, this baseline was consistently at 0.34 Jy
for all power levels!  If we wish to blame the weather, we are asking
for an additional 30K of noise power -- I didn't think that we can get
this at a frequency of 5.8 GHz from even a thick thunderstorm.  As it
turns out, it was not raining at the time of this test -- checking
wunderground.com for the LWA site (they have a tipping raingauge --
very  useful!) KNMSOCOR9, I see it was raining between 1:30 and 2:30
PM.  But our test was an hour later than that -- 21:04 -- 21:40 IAT =
15:04 -- 15:40 PM local time.

    We should repeat this test when the weather is better, and (very
preferably!) with a parallel 8-bit observation at the same frequency, or
at least an 8-bit test at the same frequency immediately preceding or
following...