[evlatests] Initial look at switched power

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Oct 25 18:01:17 EDT 2010

    Having been out of town for quite a while, I'm a little behind on
this switched power stuff.

    I loaded (via Bill/Eric's nice BDF2AIPS procedure) a 17-minute long
RSRO-type C-band dataset, used for system testing last Thursday (before
the power outage).  The visibility data look great, and most of the
switched power looks great --- but not all.  Immediate things I noted are:

    1) Antenna 10 and 24 showed zero switched power on both
polarizations and all 16 subbands, but did show total power.
    2) Antenna 19 has a 'wobble' in its switched power on all IFs in
RCP.   The wobble amplitude is a few percent, and the frequency changes
notably over time.  In LCP, there is a nearly 50% ramp/oscillation in
the switched power, acting on very fast (seconds) timescale.
    3) Subband 16 shows a total power completely unlike any other
subband, except for antennas 2, 11 18 and 20.  For the rest, the total
power is changing on timescales of ~1 minute, by factors of 10 to 30%.
The visibilities are certainly not reflecting this, nor is any other
subband -- it's hard to believe these power variations are real.

    I have not yet tried to apply these data to the visibilities.