[evlatests] Preliminary Wobble Report

Brent Carlson brent.carlson at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Wed Nov 24 05:56:55 EST 2010

Hi Rick,

>    For the third test (Brent's algorithm)
>
> No obvious wobbles are visible.  The phase wobble on 9 x 27, if
> present, is less 1 degree pk-pk.  The amplitude wobble on 2x10 might
> be present -- if so it is of much lower amplitude.
>    A Fourier analysis is needed for a most discerning judgment.
If there is no post-correlation residual sub-sample delay correction
being done, depending on baseline length and integration time, I can
imagine there being a percent or so amplitude oscillation, and a
residual phase slope vs freq changing with each integration time, as the
integration time beats with delay tracking, which could explain what you
see. (The baseline-based coherence loss at the edge of the band due to
22.5 deg phase excursion is ~2.5%, which is ~1% averaged over the sub-band.)

There's also the question as to whether the correlator chip integration
time, for this test, was set to some odd ball number, or the standard
200 or 250 usec.

--Brent