[evlatests] crossed-hand delays

Bob Hayward rhayward at nrao.edu
Thu Nov 18 16:15:48 EST 2010

All of the EVLA receivers have a single noise diode that is split
between the two circular polarizations. While the noise from the diode
would be correlated between LCP & RCP, there is no guarantee that the
noise is split equally (due to imbalances in the cal splitter, cal
couplers and connecting cables) or that the path lengths would be
identical (we often uses different lengths of cables between the
splitter and cal couplers to keep the Dewar layout tidy - had this been
a requirement, we could have ensured (more-or-less) identical path
lengths, but the phase imbalance arising in the cal splitter and cal
couplers would still be there).

-Bob H.