[evlatests] Does Switched Power Monitoring Help?

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 15 11:15:39 EST 2010

    ... by which I mean, does the application of the detected PDif to
the visibility amplitudes remove gain fluctuations introduced by the
electronics?

    The short answer is 'YES!', but there are caveats.

    A) There is no question that in most cases, short-term variations in
raw observed visibility amplitudes are effectively removed by
application of switched power.   There are spectacular examples of large
gain changes which are completely removed.

    B) There are a few clear counter-examples to this -- and it will be
important to understand why.  In principle, these will be due to effects
outside the measurement loop:  either due to atmosphere or antenna
pointing, or something between the station board and the baseline board
(unlikely, I hope!).

    C) There remain, following application of switched power
calibration, unexplained long-term 'drifts' in visibility amplitude,
which may be an elevation effect, and/or a temporal drift', and/or a
miscalculation in atmospheric opacity/antenna gain in post-processing
(unlikely, I think), or something else.  If this effect is
elevation-dependent, and repeatable, it is not too worrisome..., but we
would like to understand its origin.

    D) The switched power measurement system is high susceptible to
RFI!  (This is no surprise, given the wide 128 MHz of bandwidth
utilized).  Both L and S band observations show 'false' power readings
which are obviously induced by RFI within the bands.  This observations
emphasizes the need to use 'safe' subbands when monitoring system gain
for observations in RFI-full subbands.

    The detailed results are sufficiently diverse that conclusions
beyond the above are not warranted.  I plan to organize a meeting for
interested parties, at which I can show some of the plots, with the goal
of better understanding what is happening.