[evlatests] Phase Hopping after L302 swapathon

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed May 5 10:23:42 EDT 2010

    Many (but I think not all) antennas had their L302 modules changed
yesterday.  It is anticipated that, as a result of these changes, some
antennas will exhibit phase jumps between scans on individual IF pairs.
A short observation was performed late yesterday afternoon to check on
this.   The test is the same as the multi-mode test run last week --
four different modes, observed cyclically, with three scans per mode.  I
analyzed only one of the four modes:  with 64 MHz BW, 2 IFpairs.

    Four antenna-IFpairs do indeed show phase jumps, likely at scan
boundaries (I don't have the index file to confirm this, but the timing
of the jumps makes identification with scan changes very likely).
However, the nature of these phase jumps is unlike what we saw last week
with antenna 5, IFpair A/C (back and forth with 60 degree changes).

    It is now known to me if the four antenna listed below had their
L302s changed yesterday.

    Antenna 2, A/C:  two jumps, of +150 and -150 degrees.
    Antenna 20, A/C:  two jumps, of 180, and -140 degrees.
    Antenna 3, B/D:  three jumps, of +30, -140, and -40 degrees.
    Antenna 28, B/D:  two jumps, of +50 and -50 degrees.