[evlatests] your mail (Antenna Wrapping)

Craig Walker cwalker at nrao.edu
Mon Mar 8 12:21:17 EST 2010

That is my understanding too.  But are we sure the OPT will never be
used, such as when weird setups are required or we want to check
schedules?  Just because SCHED can write old VLA observe decks certainly
did not mean that those files weren't passed through Observe in many
cases.  But also, situations that might make it hard to follow a fixed
schedule might exist in the on-line system common to all schedules.
That was certainly true in the early VLBA days when the on-line system
had a nice wrap optimizer that minimized the time lost to wraps, but
could not be predicted because of variable factors in how it was run at
observe time.  Those who really cared - the geodesy community - wanted
predictability over optimization and we eventually reverted to a simple
and predictable algorithm.

Cheers,

Craig

Walter Brisken wrote:

> According to the plan that we (Adam and Matthias, mostly)  are coding
> to, the EVLA schedule for VLBI will be generated based on the vex file
> and will not use the OPT at all, so this is not relevant here.  Please
> correct me if I'm wrong!
>
> -Walter
>
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Craig Walker wrote:
>
>> I'd just like to remind people that it needs to be possible to generate
>> a schedule that will do exactly what is requested in terms of scan
>> times.  This is required for VLBI where the schedule needs to be aligned
>> in time with what is being done at other telescopes.  With respect to
>> wraps, this means that either the scheduling program knows the algorithm
>> in use well enough to predict its behavior exactly (which is why we use
>> a simple algorithm on the VLBA rather than an optimized one), or that
>> the scheduling program can request specific wrap behavior.  A less good
>> option is to take your lumps (missing data) when a wrap happens in the
>> wrong place.  But scans cannot be adjusted when that happens in a VLBI
>> schedule.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Craig
>>

>> Bryan Butler wrote:
>>> amended after some clarification from ken...

>>> 3. on the subsequent scan, do a subarray.setWrap(0)

     R. Craig Walker            Array Operations Center
     cwalker at nrao.edu           National Radio Astronomy Observatory
     Phone  575 835 7247        P. O. Box O
     Fax    575 835 7027        Socorro NM 87801   USA