[evlatests] Stellar high-frequency data

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Jun 25 14:04:52 EDT 2010

    I ran a test last night, in preparation for the observations of the
'pretty-picture' of Cyg A, for the eventual commissioning.

    In this test, I set up a trial run, 2 hours, cycling through K, Ka
and Q bands, applying referenced pointing, and observing the
flux/polarization calibrator 3C286, the local calibrator 2007+4029, and
various positions along Cyg A (since its extend of 2 arcminutes makes it
larger than the antenna primary beam at Q-band).   These observations
were taken in OSRO1 mode.

    The short 'executive summary' is that the data are marvelous.  Two
2-minute snapshots on Cyg A at K band has provided images with over
200:1 dynamic range, using only a few central channels.
    I shorted the durations for each observation to 2 minutes -- in no
case did more than the initial 15 seconds of any of these had to be
flagged.  So there appear to be no 'setup' problems.

    But things are not perfect.  I have analyzed only the K-band data so
far (taken at 19 and 25 GHz).  Below I list the issues -- some of which
are being addressed already.

    1) Due to an oversight, the 'BD' frequencies were not observed in
'set and remember' mode.  This meant the table values were used, which
caused effective loss of fringes (very weak in general)  on a number of
antennas.  I'm using  frequency tunings near the edges of the bands, so
there is no surprise in the result.

    2) Antenna 20 is clearly not pointing correctly, with a cyclic
response of a few minutes.  I think this is known to be a subreflector
or encoder problem -- it would be good to hear this is being addressed
as it affects all bands (even L-band!).

    3) Antenna 22 was stowed due to an issue with IF 'A'.

    4) 5.5% of the visibilities were flagged as integer 0 -- all of
these are near the beginning of the scans.

    5) There were a very few 'failures to tune'.

    All in all, a very encouraging test.