[evlatests] Some observations in OSRO

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Jun 15 10:50:43 EDT 2010

    Ten hours on Cyg A, plus calibrators, were taken Friday night in
OSRO 1 mode.  I switched around four bands:  L, S, C, and X.  No
referenced pointing.   I changed band with every new observation (so I
did not try source-cal-source at one band).

    A brief review of the data shows a few items of interest:

    1) about 4% of the data in the X-hands are 'integer zeros'.  Nearly
all of these are associated with the beginning of scans, typically a few
seconds long, but on occasion, as long as a minute!  There is never any
obvious pattern of which antennas took a minute to show up.  Rarely, a
short (few seconds) block of data, seemingly antenna-based,
'disappeared' (were identically zero).

    2) Antenna 25, IF 'D' had essentially zero amplitude fringes at all
bands.  Yet, the bandpass looked fine!  Perhaps the power to the
samplers was far too low?  Michael R. thinks this problem has been
repaired ... has it?

    3) All data were taken with 'set and remember' at all IFs.  Yet the
variation in the fringe amplitude of the calibrator source 2007+404 at
L-band is as high as factors of 2 or more, from scan to scan, on some
antennas.  This does not seem to be an issue at the higher frequency
bands.  Nor is this a problem for 3C286 at L-band.  I believe this is
due to the influence of Cyg A, which is well over 20 dB stronger than
the calibrator, and only a degree or so distant -- the spectrum shows
strong beats in frequency, so the formation of a 'channel 0' for
calibration purposes will reflect these if the averaging width (in
frequency) is not an integer multiple of the beat -- which it never is,
in general.  I'll be able to check this suggestion when I'm free of the
summer school ...  (The mystery to me is why I don't recall this being a
problem with the VLA -- we used 50 MHz BW, which would certainly have
been subject to the same issue).

    Some antennas (notably 8 and 18) are showing a complete lack of
'returning to phase' at L-band.  (I haven't been able to check this at
the other bands yet).   Each observation of the calibrator, for these
antennas, has a completely different phase.