[evlatests] BD T304 power meters and attenuators

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Jun 10 12:59:40 EDT 2010

I am one of those who believe that we should fix (as in set and don't
change) the attenuators when in 8-bit sampler mode.  The dynamic range
offered by the samplers is far larger than the range of input powers for
all conceivable observations (excluding solar).  Even Cyg A and Cas A
multiply the total powers by factors of less than ten at L-band (the
worst case) -- that's less than 2 bits out of the eight.  The only
question remaining is:  what level should the system be set at?  Ken is
quite right that using a dynamic system to find and set the level could
be dangerous at L-band (and probably S-band as well), so a table value
strikes me as the best approach.  The variation in total system
temperature at these frequencies is very small -- virtually all the
power comes from the receivers themselves.  So a table of attenuator
values sounds good to me.

With 3-bit sampling, we have much less headroom, so we'll likely have to
adopt a dynamic approach, particularly at high frequencies where
atmospheric emission will greatly increase system power depending on
elevation and weather...  Rather than opine in advance of what we should
do, I'd prefer some careful tests to determine the best level to set,
and to determine by how much the sensitivity changes as the power changes.