[evlatests] EVLA Calibration/Imaging Meeting tomorrow

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 28 16:10:51 EDT 2010

    At Thursday's 9AM meeting (which I have decided to call 'EVLA
Calibration & Imaging'), I'd like to focus on two topics:

    1) Wide-band calibration techniques.  The 2048 MHz-wide test data
taken Friday evening at C-band has proven to be most instructive to me
for aiding in understanding how wide-band calibration can (and perhaps
should) be done.  Eric's new enhancements to BPASS, plus the new tasks
RLDLY and SOUSP have proven extremely useful in this regard.  I propose
to lay out the procedure I followed, and show interesting plots
illustrating the lessons learned, and what yet must be understood, and
done.   Others are invited to show their results on this topic.

    2) Optimum polarimetry.  There are, I think, two topics here,
interlinked.  The first is proper calibration -- optimum (or sufficient)
determination of the cross-polarization terms.  The second is
application for the purpose of optimum imaging.  There has been some
active discussion of these points on the evlatests listserver -- there
is I think more agreement amongst the experts than would be concluded
from reading these posts -- the goal tomorrow will be agreement on the
best way to proceed.  This is a complex topic.

    Room 317.