[evlatests] D*P contributions to total intensity

George Moellenbrock gmoellen at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 27 11:45:43 EDT 2010

Barry-

To be clear, I DO mean applying the D-terms also to the parallel
hands.   When I carry out the formal algebra (correcting an absolute
D matrix with an offset one), _and_ include reconciliation of the
ordinary gains, I get a residual Jones matrix that has (slightly!)
asymmetric off-diag elements.   I.e., it appears non-orthogonal.
And, yes, such a net calibration matrix (incl. the G reconciliation)
will not quite correct the cross-hands to for an unpolarized source
to precisely zero.

I think this is mostly a quibble about the way we factor the gains
from the general Jones matrix, and boils down to how we define
"correctly applying" the D-matrix.   I'll spend some more time
trying to work this out.

In the mean time, I do think it is worth applying linearized Ds
to the parallel hands, and I've begun taking some steps in
CASA to permit this.

-George