[evlatests] D*P contributions to total intensity

Barry G. Clark bclark at nrao.edu
Sun Jul 25 13:45:25 EDT 2010

All very complicated, and really needs to be written down carefully.
However, I can perhaps convince you of one simple truth - I is I.

We are used to making the claim that I = RR+LL.  But it is true
in any orthogonal polarization system.  Suppose we have a system
P = (a*R + b*L)
Q = (A*L - b*R)
where a^2 + b^2 = 1.
a=1, b=0 is pure circular, and a=b is orthogonal linears, and we are
somewhere in the middle, around b~0.1 or a bit less.
If in that system, we define the usual I
I' = PP + QQ
   = (a^2) RR + (b^2) LL + ab(RL + LR)
      + (a^2) LL + (b^2) RR - ab(RL + LR)
   = I
Therefore, the 'absolute' D terms, correcting our mean polarization
to real RR and LL, do not inter into making images of I.  They do
enter, at the few percent of source polarization level, in imaging
Q, U, V.  (Watch out for the last of those - it can hurt you.)

What 'D terms' do is so account for antenna polarizations, which differ
from antenna to antenna and which are not even orthogonal on one
antenna, correcting the measurements to those that would have been
made in a system in which all antennas had identical, orthogonalally
polarized feeds.

I don't see how you can call the fact that q and u can be bigger
than I remarkable - this sort of thing shows up all the time -
for instance, you often see stronger fringes in the bottom of
an absorption line than in the continuum.  If the Q and U maps
get bigger than the I map, then you can start to worry.