[evlatests] Adventures in wide-band calibration and imaging

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Jul 23 17:47:19 EDT 2010

    I've spent most of this week fiddling around with the wide-band
Cygnus A X-band database, experimenting with the new capabilities that
Eric has put into BPASS, for the purposes of better understanding how
best to calibrate data in the 'WIDAR' era.

    The database utilized was the 6-hour X-band observation of Cyg A,
which included both its local calibrator (J2007+4029), and the primary
calibrator 3C286.

    The first part of this report is a recap:

    - The observations were made with 8 x 128 MHz subbands, full
polarization, 64 channels per product, 1 second averaging.  The total
data volume was about 144 GB.
    - Upon loading into AIPS, FITLD reported about 50.1% of the data
were integer zero.  Worrisome!  It turned out that the last four
subbands were all integer zero -- some sort of correlator setup error.
    - The remaining (good) four subbands were out of order, and were
mislabeled w.r.t. frequency.  This was repaired via UVCOP, VBGLU,
PUTHEAD, and UVFIX (this last step to recompute the u,v,w coords).
    - The four remaining subbands covered the range 8.400 through 8912
MHz.  The highest of these four lies well above the nominal bandpass of
the receiver -- easily seen in the bandpass plots.
    - Other than the four blank subbands, data quality was superb, with
the  only editing required being due to antenna slew.

    Now for the more fun bits.

    - I decided to track and remove the 'delay clunks' (not that I think
they're important, but mostly because I can).  This was easy for the two
calibrators.  For Cyg A, a good model was used.  I quickly discovered
that antenna 8 is 'the center of the EVLA' -- this antenna is located at
N1, and it's clear from the derived delay solutions that this location
is used by software as the array center.  Solutions were made for every
single record (this is necessary to track the delays, as the longest
baseline undergoes a delay 'clunk' about every 4 seconds).
    - A nuance in AIPS was then discovered:  In order to apply solutions
made with every integration, one needs a calibration table which is much
more finely gridded than the data integrations!  This is because INDXR,
which generates the CL table, pays no attention to the time stamps at
which the observations were made.  If, for example, you have 1 second
integrations, and you generate a 1-second CL table, there is no phasing
attempted between these two grids.  So to ensure appropriate delay
tracking (and until Eric can think up a way to force INDXR to align the
integration times and CL table), one must grossly oversample the CL
table.  I chose 0.1 seconds -- this worked well.
    - After this basic calibration and editing, I averaged the data down
to 10 second intervals -- this *hugely* helps the subsequent processing.

    Eric has modified BPASS so it will employ the polynomical
expressions for the known standard calibrators.  I proceeded this way
(with no guarantee that this is the best approach):

    a) SETJY is used to determine the fluxes for each subband.
    b) BPASS was run *without normalization* (BPARM(5)=1, and
BPARM(10)=0) to generate absolute solutions for each calibrator
observation of 3C286.   The program now cleverly knows I want the true
solutions, so uses the polynomial expressions to determine the solutions
for each channel, for each subband.  (This is, in essence, CALIB for
every channel, using the correct flux).
    c) CALIB and GETJY were used, utilizing the central few channels
only, to determine the spectrum of the phase calibrator J2007+4029.  I
got 3.888, 3.908, 3.920, and 3.934 for my four subbands.  These four are
a close enough fit to a simple power-law spectrum of spectral index
0.266 that I used that value for the next step.  Most antennas show
virtually  no time variability in their gains (much better than 1%), but
some antennas are not so well behaved -- conceivably an elevation
effect.  These deviations are highly correlated between subbands, but
*not* between polarizations -- which argues for electronics, rather than
pointing, as a cause.
    d) BPASS was then used on J2007, utilizing the new adverb SPECINDX
set to 0.266.  (I also used SETJY to force compliance between the SU
table and the SPECINDX).   This operation provided spectacularly stable
solutions, both over time, and between the two calibrator sources.
(Changes in the spectrum are typically at a level less than 0.1%,
peak-peak).  The combination of the polynomial expression for 3C286,and
the derived spectral index for J2007 were completely sufficient for
determining the spectral bandpass corrections.
    e) CALIB/CLCAL was used to make final gain adjustments -- but in
fact this has little effect, since the way I have employed BPASS
effectively provides a 2-point calibration.
    f) Eric's new program RLDLY immediately determined the R-L delay
(and automatically updates the CL table).
    g) PCAL was then used to determine the mean (relative!) antenna
polarizations.  (AIPS can not determine D terms as a function of
frequency -- at least not yet ... :-) )

    The results of all this were displayed by utilizing POSSM, the
spectrum plotting software.  The plots are quite lovely to view,
particularly those of Cygnus A.  The four subbands can be plotted
adjacent (like one continuous spectrum covering 512 MHz), for any Stokes
combination.  The most interesting results are when one views I, Q, U,
and V, with all corrections applied.  If there is interest, I'll show
some of these at an upcoming meeting -- certainly at the Thursday
meeting, some of which will be dedicated to polarimetry.
    For the calibrators, we see smooth continuous spectra, as is
required by the methodology.
    For Cygnus A, we see the visibility function changing (dramatically!
-- even over only 512 MHz) for any given baseline, at any given time, as
a function of frequency.  A good lesson in interferometry -- and an even
better lesson on why we have to have software which 'knows' about these
changes.
    A even better lesson was clear in the plots of Q and U -- this will
go into the next circular.

    I generated an image of the J2007 calibrator.  Because I haven't
learned yet how to implement IMAGR to account for the spectral slope,
the resulting image, if utilizing the correctly calibrated amplitudes,
results in an image with remarkable sidelobe structures.  To get a noise
limited image, I had to re-determine the bandpass, forcing the spectral
flux density to a single value (3.9 Jy) over the full 512 MHz bandpass.
Utilizing IMAGR in a straighforward way then provides a noise-limited
image, with 500,000:1 dynamic range.  The calibrator has a nearby
secondary, and about 3 or 4 background images are seen.  The rms noise
is about 7 microJy.  (I used only the three subbands safely within the
bandpass for this image).  The integration time is slightly over 1 hour.
    The noise in the V image is the same as in I.  But the noise in Q
and U is a few times higher -- clearly due to small-scale variability in
the cross-polarization, both in frequency and time, no doubt ...

    The image of Cygnus A was, as usual far from noise limited --
probably 100 times the noise limit.