[evlatests] [Ecsv] Summary of Polarization Meeting

George Moellenbrock gmoellen at nrao.edu
Fri Jul 16 17:54:58 EDT 2010

What Barry says is correct IF the residual due to the (unknown) constant
offsets in D, as applied to the parallel hands, is factorable as a
multiplicative gain AND you bother to re-solve for this incremental gain
effect (and anything else left over cancels in the formation of I from
'RR' and 'LL').  Seems to me you still get residual terms that are a
function of both the offset Ds _and_ the offset itself (and source
polarization, if any), possibly smaller than the uncorrected (so possibly
better than nothing), but still non-zero, and non-symmetric.  I think what
you might manage to achieve here is reconciliation of the range of
non-ideal polarizations across the array to a single mean non-ideal
polarization, separately in both hands.  For this to strictly preserve
Stokes I, these non-ideal states must be precisely orthogonal.  It is not
clear to me that this is what is achieved.  E.g., what if all of the LCP
receptors started off less pure than the RCP receptors in a systematic
way? (such a bias may be unlikely, but this assertion amounts to
introducing another external constraint, such as that the mean
polarization in each hand is pure).  I'll think about it some more, as
Barry suggests.

I think it is very interesting to ask if the R and L systems, as built (by
virtue of the mechanical processes and testing involved for the polarizing
elements), tend to be more nearly orthogonal (on each antenna) than pure.
It seems to me (though I've no shortage of naivete on h/w questions) it
might be easier to generally arrange orthogonality than absolute purity
(if you manage purity, of course, you get orthogonality for free).  If the
receptors are nominally orthogonal, I wonder if this fact could perhaps be
applied as a constraint in referencing the D solutions that achieves a
better approximation of the absolute Ds (or at least Ds that behave more
as Barry suggests)?....

-George