[evlatests] Summary of Polarization Meeting

George Moellenbrock gmoellen at nrao.edu
Fri Jul 16 17:12:07 EDT 2010

All-

>    B) Status of polarization calibration in CASA, including
> implementation of full matrix corrections.

I'm afraid much of Rick's summary here requires correction.

>    This refers to the implementation of the full 4 x 4 'Mueller' matrix
> which relates the observed cross products (RR, RL, LR, LL) to the
> desired Stokes visibilites (I, Q, U, V).

None of this has to do with mere conversions (the 'Mueller' matrix) from
"observed cross products (RR, RL, LR, LL) to the desired Stokes
visiblities (I, Q, U, V)".  This, of course, is trivial, and we are
already doing it, e.g., to form images in the Stokes paramters from data
in correlations.  The role of instrumental polarization solutions in
realizing the Stokes parameters _correctly_ is, in fact, done via 'Jones'
matrix algebra, and done separately from the conversion to formal
Stokes parameters.

> The implemented software in
> both CASA and AIPS utilizes the first-order approximation, which drops
> all products between D terms and Stokes Q, U, V and other Ds.  (That is,
> it retains only the product between D and I)

Regarding the instrumental polarization calibration solve, CASA currently
supports (and, for now, compells) essentially the same standard linear
approximation as AIPS (terms containing the product of 2 more Ds, Qs, or
Us and all terms containing V are ignored, leaving only linear terms in D
multiplying Stokes I in the crosshands along with the intended terms).
There are a few additional explicit modes also supported
(channel-dependence within spec windows, asserted source polarization,
etc.), cf AIPS (though I'll confess some ignorance about exactly what PCAL
can do).  I'll clarify (for CASA) all of this separately.

>       George reports that he is nearly ready to do tests of the full
> corrections.

The code required to _apply_ an instrumental polarization solution in the
full matrix (non-linearized) formalism mostly exists (it was there first,
actually), and can be turned on again with a very small effort, but has
been disabled (to avoid misleading users) because:

> An importance point is that, for the VLA, it is very
> unlikely that the *absolute* Ds can be derived as a matter of course
> from ordinary observations -- by construction, all antennas view the
> sources at the same parallactic angle, making impossible, or at least
> highly unlikely, a robust method for extracting the absolute Ds.  By
> necessity, all 'Ds' determined from standard interferometry are
> referenced to a standard -- either a global mean (CASA, MIRIAD), or a
> particular antenna (AIPS).

Well, I'd hope to say "tricky" rather than "unlikely".  _Polarized_
calibrators are required (unpolarized calibrators provide only the
additional DDI term in the parallel hands, which cannot be
completely decoupled from the gain calibration if the mean departure from
polarization purity is non-zero), and quite probably some iteration with
the ordinary gain calibration (a la linear feed heuristics) will also be
necessary.  I believe most of the solving code for the non-linearized
solution also already exists, but it will require a bit more work to
re-energize it (cf the apply-only case).

In the linear approximation solve, CASA refers its D solutions to a single
refant (like AIPS), if requested (it sets the refant's Dr to (0+0j) and
offsets all of the other Dr and Dl accordingly).  We plan to support
other referencing modes (e.g., a global mean), mainly to handle inadequate
poln cal observations (e.g., no parallactic angle coverage), as well as no
referencing at all for the properly constrained non-linearized solve.

> The full matrix correction requires
> absolute, not relative Ds (which are sufficient for the linearized
> treatment).   It was agreed that a good test of the code will be to
> utilize the 'absolute' Ds determined by receiver rotation, from which we
> hope an interative process can be developed.   There is reasonable hope
> for this procedure, given the stability of the D terms.  Note that in
> general, these higher order corrections may only be needed for imaging
> in the multi-hundred thousand to one regime.

This 'receiver rotation trick' enables decoupling the R and L instr pol
systems from each other (and hence, 'absolute' Ds)  via differential
parallactic rotation of the sort achieved naturally in VLBI, all while
using the linear approximation (introducing higher order terms is not
required).  CASA can probably be tricked into recognizing the rotated
antenna's parallactic angle offset, and solve the whole system
jointly....

>    Other methods to determine absolute Ds were briefly discussed.   If
> time permits, I may test these.

I took some data many years ago that involves 3 different VLA antennas
alternately co-observing with both the VLA and VLBA.  The co-observing VLA
antennas can be solved absolutely in the VLBI observation, and then used
to refer the internal VLA D-term solution.  Because of the structure of
the observation (switching the VLA's reference antenna repeatedly to
follow the VLBI-participating VLA antenna), there were some bookkeeping
issues in the resulting datasets, and I never quite completed the
analysis.  It could be resurrected, if deemed desirable, but the answer we
get will no longer apply, of course.

>    George is currently busy with development of polarimetry for ALMA,
> but should soon be available for these trials.  He will report
> separately on these issues in more detail.

Yes, the linear approximation treatment for linear feeds is nearly done
(linears-specific source pol estimation and XY-phase compensation,
mainly), and a number of peripheral developments implemented in that
effort will be useful for the EVLA case (e.g., cross-hand delay
solve/apply, some streamlined calibration model specification).  Also, the
"<1 GHz" EVLA/NRL system will use linear feeds, and so will require the
linears treatment.  For both polarization bases, the existing fundamental
instr pol solver is exactly the same, in fact.  I will shortly embark upon
the generalization to the non-linearized solve with both instruments in
mind.  Alas, the EVLA polarization heuristics will evolve to look more
like the linears case in general (rather than vice-versa), as noted above.

Yes, I already have started a summary of "CASA Polarization Status and
Plans" (based on my statements in the meeting on Wed), and I will try to
distribute it by early next week.  It will also include some info about
the expected (and pretty much standard) gain/bandpass calibration that
should occur prior to attempting polarization calibration in CASA.

-George