[evlatests] Polarization Discussion

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 13 17:13:24 EDT 2010

    All:

   Steve and I, noting the upcoming meetings, plus Steve's absence next
week, would like to hold a 'polarization' meeting tomorrow at 4PM, in Rm
317.  We apologize for the short notice (but this time, unlike last, we
will both be  there).

    Major subject topics:

    1) Polarization characterization:  size, stability, frequency
dependence.  This was well covered today, so we don't propose a lengthy
presentation or discussion.  Most important will be discussion of a
observational protocol for further characterization.

    2) Polarization calibration (on-axis).  Status of software.
Likelihood (and need) of the full matrix capability within CASA.

    3) Off-axis polarization corrections.  Status of software to enable
'full-beam, full stokes, noise-limited' imaging.  What further tests or
data are needed to assist this effort.  Have we parameterized the
observational needs for this?  (This means:  At what level in circular
or linear polarization is this software needed?)

    4) Any other topics along this line?

    Rick and Steve