[evlatests] Cross-hand phase convention...

George Moellenbrock gmoellen at nrao.edu
Fri Feb 26 12:58:20 EST 2010

All-

On a whim, I temporarily reversed the sign of the parallactic angle phase
correction in CASA and re-applied the calibration to the C1310 dataset.
This had two gratifying effects:

1. The rotation of R-L phases (i.e., 2X the linear polarization position
    angles) in 3C286 and 1310+323 during the 75-min observation falls to
    zero.  I.e., no residual rate.  This is not especially surprising since
    applying the parallactic angle correction with the opposite sign (cf
    data) doubled the rate.  Reassuring, nonetheless.

2. More interestingly (and subtle), the error in the _difference_ in the
    these two sources' R-L phases (i.e., 2X the difference in their lin pol
    pos angles) relative to POLCAL results from one day later falls to ~1
    deg, well within the reported POLCAL errors (~5 deg).  The larger error
    in this difference noted yesterday (~10 deg) for inverted parang phase
    sign (relative to data) is thus indeed a result of the effective
    doubling of the par ang ang difference between the two sources, which
    are relatively close on the sky (4.7 degrees apart).  The observed poln
    pos ang difference between the sources still has the incorrect sign
    because I haven't bothered to globally reverse the visibility phase
    sign in my dataset*.

*I did not recalculate all of my other calibration, all of which is solved
in the phase frame of the (mirror-universe) telescope.  I.e., all are
independent of parallactic angle, regardless of sign, so I did not have to
recalculate it.  Had I PHNEG'd, I would have had to conjugate all of my
other calibration too, or re-solved.  Had I used a polarized source for
the D-term solution (and required a solution for its polarization), I
would have had to resolve that term.

It bears noting that while 3C286 provides enough SNR to clearly see the
few degrees of parallactic angle rotation in an average over baselines and
per-subband bandwidth (probably sufficient to tolerably separate source
and instrumental poln at ~100 MHz resolution), I don't think there is
enough SNR _per_channel_ (at the native 0.5 MHz resolution) for a reliable
freq-dep D-term solution, and part of the aim of this reduction was to see
the D-term freq-dep, which is considerable.  Some intermediate frequency
averaging might be a nice balance between sensitivity and resolution for
the purposes of D-term calibration using short observations of 3C286.

So, I reiterate that if the net effective _relative_ wiring/organization
of parallel- and cross-hands is fundamentally the same in current WIDAR
and WIDAR0 (I appreciate that there has been lots of "rewiring"), and if
the recent phase sign flip in the CBE has been implemented uniformly for
parallel- and cross-hands, the EVLA should be able to support accurate and
effective freq-dep D-term calibration transfer for linear polarization,
and position-angle calibration transfer with a precision of ~1 degree or
better.

I'm looking forward to testing this claim with actual WIDAR data!  (The
requested dataset will have good par ang coverage and thus permit
quantifying the accuracy of the D-term calibration by providing solutions
from multiple sources.)

-George