[evlatests] More on X-band delays, and conventions ...

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Feb 12 18:43:57 EST 2010

    Eric and I peered into the X-band database provided by Michael to
test the sky orientation.  Recall that I reported earlier that the
delays calculated by FRING, when applied to the data through CLCAL,
seemed to double the delay phase slope, rather than remove it.

    The situation is in actuality, a little different.  By careful
viewing of the 3-subband spectra, and relying on the previously
established characteristic that phases connect smoothly across subband
boundaries, we are quite certain that the problem is that subbands 1 and
3 are interchanged.  This will mightily confuse FRING, causing further
downstream confusion.

    The problem doesn't affect the imaging tests done today, as BPASS
was run (without using the incorrect delays) and applied.  This
operation removes phase slopes without any reference to subband ordering.