[evlatests] Antenna 22 at X-band

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Dec 30 10:32:48 EST 2010

    Astute readers will recall that we had noted last week the high
cross-polarization of antenna 22 at X-band, and also the report
yesterday that this antenna's gains fluctuated by 10s of percent, in an
anti-correlated manner, such that when LCP gains dropped the RCP gain
rose.   These characteristics are symptomatic of a common cause.
    Bob Hayward immediately suggested that the origin is likely to be
material lying on the vacuum window within the X-band feed horn.
Changes in gain and polarization would occur as this stuff slides around
at different elevations.
    Chuck Kutz reported yesterday that an inspection has indeed found
material on the window which (I believe) has now been cleaned up and the
antenna returned to service.

    Further evidence that this is indeed the cause of the high
cross-polarization is provided, curiously enough, from the observations
of Mars during the recent 'flux densities' run.  Mars Orbiter broadcasts
a pure RCP signal centered at 8437 MHz (plus or minus 1 MHz or so).  In
reviewing the flux density data, I find that the RCP correlations of six
of the eight observations show the very strong signal (for the other two
the spectra are clean, as the satellite is presumably behind the
planet).   In the LCP correlations, the signal is very nearly invisible,
*except* on baselines with antenna 22, where it is strongly visible.
This is, of course, due to the high cross-polarization of that antenna.

    Rick