[evlatests] Troubles with long slews

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Sun Dec 19 11:20:50 EST 2010

    The 'Herc A' demo project was run on Friday.  The SB included four
observations of the calibrator 3C286 (RA = 13 31, Dec = 30 30), which is
some distance away from the target source Herc A (RA = 16 51, Dec = 01
29).  Observations were made at four bands, with five frequency
tunings.  Numerous tests done for the 'flux densities' run seemed to
indicate that the OPT and the executor were in agreement on the length
of time needed to execute the motions.

    But there is a significant problem.  Upon examination of the data, I
find that in every case involving a slew requiring a travel time of more
than a minute or so -- in either azimuth or elevation -- the time
actually spent on the target source was insufficient -- and usually less
than zero (meaning, the antennas were still moving when the allotted
time for that band/source expired.  In some cases, the antennas did not
reach the target source until nearly two minutes after the expiration of
the first desired observation!

    The problem does not appear to lie with the OPT.  I examined the
OPTs calculations of time moving and 'sitting' -- and these are always
in excellent agreement with what I expect given the distance to be
traversed.
    An example should help clarify the problem:
             At one particular moment, we needed to move from Herc A to
3C286.  The azimuths and elevations were at that time:
             Herc A:  Az = 118   El = 42
             3C286:   Az = 252   El = 79

    With azimuth slew speeds of 40 deg/min, and elevation speeds of 20
deg/min, it's obvious that more than 3 minutes will be needed to cover
that distance.  The OPT states the time required would be 3m 26s.
Adding in my requested 45 seconds 'on source' time, the scan observation
time for 3C286 in this instance should be a little over 4 minutes.  And
indeed, this is what the OPT says will be provided.
    But it's not what happened.  In fact, the length of that scan was 2m
20s -- nearly 2 minutes short.  So not only was that calibration scan
missed, but so was the subsequent one (same source, different band).

    Further evidence of the problem lies with the total length of the
observation.  The OPT claims the total length of the observation is 8h
0m.  (Indeed, I constructed the file to fit this time window).  But the
*real* observation length was 7h 47m -- the 23 minutes differential is
the sum of the all travel time miscalculations.

    This is a significant problem, especially to those programs which
have many long slews -- like the 'flux densities/calibration scale'
run.  Fortunately, this program was not run this weekend, due to poor
weather.

    What is wrong here?