[evlatests] An interesting observation ...

Michael Rupen mrupen at nrao.edu
Wed Apr 21 10:00:53 EDT 2010

I think this is expected. The minimum fshift (the frequency shift
"fundamental") is 100 Hz, and this is multiplied by the EVLA antenna
number to give the total LO offset for that antenna.  So ea01 has an LO
offset of 100 Hz, while ea28 has an LO offset of 28*100 Hz= 2.8 kHz.
This does eat up a noticeable portion of the band for the narrowest subband
bandwidths but we decided that it was OK to have a true subband bandwidth of
~28 kHz (31.25-2.8 kHz) for this narrowest setting.

100 Hz is a true limit, set by the 10 msec "tick" of the correlator:
1/0.01 sec = 100 Hz.

As to whether the lost frequencies occur on the low or the upper edge of
the band, I'd have to think a bit...

         Michael