[evlatests] Results from Imaging in Ka-Band

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Apr 1 14:18:56 EDT 2010

    Still being ignorant about JIRA, I continue with this old-fashioned
method ...

    After removing the non-fringing and insensitive Ka-band antennas, I
calibrated the data using standard 2-point interpolation (1 min in
amplitude, 10 sec in phase).
    The bandpass was solved for each 1-minute on-source calibration, but
I used the overall average when imaging.

    Imaging results:

    a) The sky is the right way up.  The off-axis calibrator
(J0157+7442) popped up exactly where it really is.

    b) The noise in the blank field integrates down exactly with number
of IFs ('subbands') and number of channels, as predicted by the simple
noise equations.

    c) The noise on the strong calibrator (when calibrated as above)
does not decline with number of channels, as naively expected.  The
noise is about a factor of two too high when I used 57 channels,
compared to a single channel.  The amount of 'degradation' increases
with increasing number of channels.
       However, when I SPLIT out this calibrator source, integrating the
57 channels together to make a 'continuum' database, then run CALIB on
this, the resulting image *does* exactly meet the expected noise.  The
'final' dynamic range (114 MHz BW, both parallel polarizations, and two
IFs) is about 20,000:1, and appears (to the eye) to be close to noise
limited.  Not bad for only about 8 minutes on-source integration, and
about 17 antennas.