[evlatests] Some new L-band phenomena ...

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 30 12:31:40 EDT 2009

    Some recent L-band data taken over the past couple days has shown
some new, possibly worrisome, effects.  The observations were made of
the strong calibrator 3C273.  This source is partially resolved, but
this cannot be used to explain the issues noted below, as the extension
(14 arcseconds) is much less than the typical resolution we now have at
L-band (arcminute).

    1) Large, coherent visibility variations.  All antennas, and all
subbands are showing factor-of-two variations is visibility amplitudes.
All channels within all subbands, and all antennas are varying
together.  The amplitude of the variation (when factored out by antenna)
is typically a factor of two (varies from 3.1 for antenna 1 to 1.5 for
some others).  The timescale for this variability is typically ~5
seconds -- all antennas have the same variability timescale.  There is
some evidence that these variations do not factor out cleanly (i.e.,
there are 'closure' issues here), but this possibility needs more
careful judgement.
    The phases are also varying in concert with these visibility
changes, but the amplitudes are much less -- perhaps 10 degrees (1/5
radian).

    According to Michael, the attenuators should be fixed throughout
these tests, so this effect acts like power level changes, affecting all
frequencies and all antennas equally, and coherently -- as if the
amplifier gains are changing.  It is most unlikely that the source
itself is varying on these timescales ...
    It would be good to have the autocorrelation spectra for one of
these runs ...

    2) Non-closing bandpass shapes.  BPASS was run, with a 1-minute
average, giving good solutions.  But an SPFLG display, with the bandpass
solutions applied, demonstrate very clearly that we have large,
sinusoidal variations of large amplitude (factors of many!) on some
baselines.  The baselines which show this effect strongly are *always*
from adjacent antennas, and the frequency scale of the oscillations is
clearly related to the antenna separation.  The oscillations slowly in
frequency as time progresses...
       3C273 is rather close to the sun now, and I'm hoping that the
quiet sun will be sufficient to explain this effect.  If not, we'll have
to start worrying about signal coupling between antennas ...