[evlatests] Large Bz error?

Vivek Dhawan vdhawan at nrao.edu
Sun Sep 27 23:51:17 EDT 2009

Looking under the lamp post for the usual things:

EOP looks correct - I compared the numbers in the
WIDAR data header to the USNO file here:

http://gemini.gsfc.nasa.gov/solve_save/usno_finals.erp

I next tried to compare the XYZ antenna positions in the
AIPS header (via SDM and CASA) to the VLA pad positions
in the VLBA database which purport to be in ITRF:

$SCHED/catalogs/locations.dat

There is 20-30cm of difference in all Y & Z axes,
between a pad's location in the WIDAR header and its
location in the SCHED/USNO database. Its not just
a longitude shift since Z is involved. The error is
(to within ~1cm) independent of which pad I compare.

It is also not clear whether including the continental
drift term (12.73 years since the USNO solution epoch)
is useful or not - X is better with the correction, but
the discrepancy is about 30cm in at least 2 axes with
or without the drift put in.

Where do those WIDAR positions come from?