[evlatests] New WIDAR data

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Sep 25 20:14:23 EDT 2009

    Michael took lots of data yesterday with the improved WIDAR.  One of
the datasets included observations of four sources, all near 3C286,
taken in a more-or-less cyclic fashion, over 90 minutes, each
observation of each source about 90 seconds long.

    This is a partial report -- the results of the imaging will come
along later.

    The data are, in general, of excellent quality.  The problems noted
(mostly already known) are:

    1) Antenna 3, subbands 3 and 4, in LCP are still bad.
    2) Antenna 9, in LCP, seems to have no phase model, or the wrong
phase model, applied -- phases are spinning quickly (but slowly enough
to permit calibration).
    3) Delays (relative to antenna 1) in RCP are typically less than 30
nsec, except antenna 8, which is 163 nsec.
    4) Delays, in LCP, are larger, typically 70 nsec, except antenna 3
(190 nsec) and 8 (151 nsec).
    5) Cross polarization delay is now -64 nsec (LCP referenced to
RCP).  This is quite a bit less than the last time I measured this (-180
nsec, last month).
    6) Antenna 1 'went bad' (weak, with random phase) in LCP, on all
sub-bands, at 23:32:45 IAT.  It came back a few minutes later, but with
a much reduced amplitude.

    I could find no zero records (yeah!!!), and few, if any
'drop-downs'.  Other than the known initial records at the beginning of
each scan being weak due to antenna motion, the data look very clean
throughout.  All phases are stable, and connect well.  There may be a
position-dependent phase change however -- the phase offsets for
1407+284 (the most distant source from 3C286) are larger than for the
other two sources, both of which are much closer to 3C286, which I used
as the phase reference calibrator.  Baseline errors?

    Plots of the visibility amplitude and phases (using a single
channel) show no evidence whatever of any oscillations in either
amplitude or phase.