[evlatests] Images from WIDAR, C band

George Moellenbrock gmoellen at nrao.edu
Mon Sep 14 13:41:08 EDT 2009

Vivek-

> Lastly, I did no polarization calibration, and 3C286 is ~10% polarized,
> so I am a bit surprised that split-and-calibrate is able to get within
> a factor 2 of the floor. I expected closure errors from polarization
> but perhaps they do factor by antenna for a short ~1hr observation.

When you say "factor by antenna", presumably you are referring to how well
the (additive) instrumental polarization contribution to the parallel
hands factors out _multiplicatively_ as simple gain & bandpass
calibration....  I would contend that the factorization details are
probably not the relevant property, though.

Firstly, I wouldn't be so surprised that ignoring the polarization issue
"worked"---the instr pol effects shouldn't kick in until after another
factor of at least a few in dynamic range, i.e., considerably deeper than
the 5000:1 you've observed---UNLESS the D-terms are larger and (more to
the point) more widely distributed (degree of non-parallelness among
antennas) than we are used to.  In other words, if the D-terms are large
and distributed, they could very well be kicking at the 5000-10000:1 level
(especially considering the highish polarization of this source) via the
combined effect of tweaking the gain calibration and leaving behind
non-closing residuals.  Otherwise, the details of how they factor
shouldn't be important yet.

As regards the parallel hand D-term contribution itself and timescales,
the relevant timescale for how "well" they factor as gains this way is not
the length of the observation, but rather the solution interval on the
gain calibration, which must be sufficiently short to "track" (the
factorable part of) the variations (which nominally come from the terms
proportional to the source polarization and which are faster near transit,
but which may also originate in time-dep cross-talk in the
electronics...).  And about all you can really count on by depending upon
gains to soak up D-terms is the recovery of the scale of you calibration
model; otherwise it is a very speculative "advantage" for the overall
calibration (unless the feeds are considerably more parallel than pure).
Note also that a longer observation (with sufficiently _uniform_
parallactic angle coverage) will benefit from a tendency of the variable
additive terms to spin down somewhat.  I.e., a longer observation would
tend to help, not hurt, the resulting dynamic range and in a way (mostly)
unrelated to the degree of gain-like factorability of the instrumental
contribution.

-George