[evlatests] demo science

Claire Chandler cchandle at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 10 19:12:17 EDT 2009

Thanks to everyone who participated in the discussion this morning about
demonstration science.  Below were the projects we might consider.  All
the group leads need to establish the amount of time, LST range, and
correlator modes required.  Please send a note on the time and LST range
required to me, copied to schedsoc, so that Joan can work out what will
fit in the DnC configuration schedule.  Please send the correlator set-up
requirements to me, copied to Michael.

For those projects that may conflict with existing programs we will have
to deal with various issues on a case-by-case basis (depending on whether
a project has already been observed vs. has time coming up in the DnC/D
configurations, and whether there were competing proposals to do the same
science).  The bottom line is that all data and data products will be made
immediately available to the community, and there will have to be complete
transparency in how we announce the data products.

Claire

Groups:

Galactic star formation (Claire)

       o High frequency spectral sweep of Orion, starting at 23.5 GHz
 	and going as high as there is time for
 	125 kHz maximum per channel, better for targetted imaging

       o C-band spectral sweep for RRLs in W3 or Orion B, depending
 	on LST availability

Evolved stars and SNRs (Amy)

       o spectral sweep of IRC10216 in Ka band

High-z molecular lines and galaxies (Chris)

       o CO(1-0) in Cloverleaf/SMG (conflict with scheduled program);
 	sensitivity with only 12 antennas?

Pulsars and transients (Dale)

       o dynamic spectra of brown dwarfs (6 hrs; conflict with
 	scheduled program)

       o Cyg X-3 at L-band (couple of hrs)

HI in local group and nearby galaxies (Juergen)

       o imaging the Leo ring: imaging and sensitivitiy
 	issues with only 12 antennas? 3hrs for one pointing as a test
 	(conflict with scheduled program)

Planets (Brigette)

       o track Cassini with Ka band (Oct 3, 5 hrs at 11 LST)