[evlatests] Retaining a piece of history?

Bob Hayward rhayward at nrao.edu
Thu Oct 15 18:22:06 EDT 2009

This might not be the best form to bring this topic up, but it goes to
all the right people to start the conversation. We can then take it
somewhere else if it's worth further discussion.

We only have a few antennas left to be upgraded. Once the last one is
done, we can say goodbye to the old VLA electronics forever and the dawn
of a new age begins.

I'd like to suggest that we preserve at least set of the antenna
electronics. By this I mean the A, B and F Racks. A great deal of time
and effort has been given by numerous people - many no longer with us -
designing, building, testing and improving these units. And let's not
forget the amount of tender loving care that has been devoted to keeping
them working over the last 30 years. It would be a shame to just toss
all of the racks on to the garbage heap of history.

If there was room in the Visitor's Center, that might be a good place to
put them - sort of a VLA Memorial. If not, somewhere out of the way in
the basement in the Control Building might be fine too. I always found
it fun to show visitors at the Site a VLA antenna first, then take them
over to see an EVLA antenna and then point out all the differences that
several decades worth of new electronics allowed the EVLA to achieve.
With no more VLA antennas, that option will no longer be viable.

If there is any interest in preserving the VLA's heritage, then we
should start thinking about it soon. Maybe someone has already
squirreled away some of these racks. If not, the time is now.

If there is agreement, how many should we save? Where will we put them?
Does anyone know if Green Bank would be interested in a rack or two
(much of this stuff was developed and prototyped back east)?

-Bob