[evlatests] C and X band SDM1 data

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 14 18:03:32 EDT 2009

    Michael placed various SDM1 data sets out for review.

    I grabbed the three X and C band 'baseband' ones.   These are short
observations of 3C273 (a heavily resolved double, unfortunately), with
0.1 seconds averaging.   Six antennas were included for all the tests.

    A)  X-Band.   There are four subbands, with dual polarization.  The
FQ table looks correct.  The data quality looks excellent, with a single
exception:  In sub-band 1 only, in both polarizations, there are two
short periods where antenna 28 produced exact zeros.  Since noise can't
do this, this is an 'absence of data' issue.  All channels are zeroed.
       There are about a half dozen data 'dips', where the visibilities
are near, but not at, zero. (A negligible fraction of the total data).
       Since the spectral and subband ordering is reversed, I ran FLOPM
to re-order the data in the way we like to see.
       FRING aborted on this database -- it's not supposed to do this,
and Eric will be investigating.
       POSSM provides beautiful spectra.

    B) C-Band 1.  A dual polarization, single-subband database.  All
looks normal here, with only a few 'data dips' noted.  FRING and BPASS
both ran normally, and the resulting spectral look very nice.

    C) C-Band 2.  A dual polarization, four-subband database.  Again, a
very few 'data dips' are seen, and easily removed via CLIP.  FRING and
BPASS ran normally.  I ran CALIB, and reviewed the spectra.  The
resulting spectra do not look right in that the various subbands are
giving rather different (by 10s of percent in some cases) amplitudes.
However, as the source is a partially resolved double, some oddities are
to be expected.  I don't have a good source model handy, and don't think
it worth the trouble to chase one down.  It's better to take some data
on a real point source...