[evlatests] Some nice C-band imaging results

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Sun Nov 15 15:33:53 EST 2009

I spent some time playing around with the C-band Cygnus A observations
made by Michael last week.  Specifically, I made an image of the
calibrator field, with excellent results.   Michael used four subbands,
all four polarizations, with 500 kHz channel resolution -- a total of
512 MHz bandwidth in each polarization.

    The calibrator was 2007+404, about 3.5 Jy, and about 1.60 degrees
away from the very strong source Cygnus A.  It was observed 9 times
during this short run, each observation about 90 seconds long.  Other
than some odd behavior at the beginning of the run, the data were of
outstanding quality.  There are no 'zeros' that I could find in this
dataset.  I removed the delay and delay rocking, using FRING, determined
the bandpass for each short observation, then calibrated the gains in
the usual way.  A BLCAL was run to remove any steady component of the
cross-polarization leaking into the parallel-hand gains.  A CLIP for
discrepant points found 0.05% of the data to lie beyond my limits -- I'm
sure that essentially of these are at the band edges.

    Histograms of single channels showed beautiful Gaussian noise.

    The image, using the central 150 channels from all four subbands, in
Stokes ' I, gave a 50,000:1 dynamic range -- about a factor of two short
of theoretical (based on the single channel gaussian widths).  The image
rms is dominated by a single sinusoid component -- aligned with Cygnus
A, and probably due to that source.  A 2nd field placed on Cyg A found
the hospots, but not a plausible image of the lobes -- not surprising
given that the source is in the ~tenth sidelobe, where I would expect
the antenna phases to be all quite different.

    Comparison of the 9 BPASS solutions shows excellent bandpass
stability (better than 0.1% in amplitude) for most (but not all)
antennas and times.  A vector-averaged bandpass plot shows variations of
about 1 part in 4000 across the inner 80% of each of the four subbands.
There are curious edge effects that I cannot easily explain.