[evlatests] Some Thoughts on Polarizer-Induced 'closure' errors

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Nov 5 20:49:56 EST 2009

    I think it's a bit more complicated -- but this idea should work.
As I see it ...

    The I-vector is a constant in the complex plane.  To this is added
two contributions which are proportional to the product of the (complex)
polarization (Q+iU) with the desired (true) D-term and a time-variable
unit length rotator vector which reflects the parallactic angle.  The
two added (polarization-dependent) contributions rotate in opposite
directions.  The amplitude of each of these contributions (one from each
of the two antennas comprising the baseline) is a fraction |P|*|D| of
the total intensity:  For P = 12% (for 3C286), and D = 8%, we should see
about a 1% modulation of the total intensity.  As noted abover, there
are two of these -- but it should be relatively easy to separate them.

    This is certainly worth trying.  We'll have to be careful about
trying to prevent the parallel-hand calibration from 'soaking up' some
of the desired effect.

    Unhappily, 3C286 is notably circularly polarized, but I don't think
this will cause much trouble, as the effect of V doesn't rotate with
parallactic angle...