[evlatests] All sensitivities are fine

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed May 27 12:01:21 EDT 2009

    I reported last week that sensitivities appeared to lowered by
factors of a few, based on data taken in April with 0.417 seconds
averaging, while data taken with 1.67 seconds provided correct
sensitivities.   These observations were taken on a strong source.

    To check on this surprising result, I ran an hour-long test
yesterday evening, observing two sources (a strong calibrator and a
nearby blank field), with three different averaging intervals:  0.417,
1.67, and 6.67 seconds.  Equal durations were spent on all targets (i.e.
about 10 minutes each), so we should get the same sensitivity in all
images.

    Results:

    All noise histograms are perfect -- perfectly gaussian, and of the
expected widths for the bandwidth and time durations.
    All images rms's are sqrt(N) smaller than the noise histograms.
    Using the observed SEFD values (from calibration -- the data were
filled as correlation coefficients) of 300 Jy, the predicted values for
the sensitivites are exactly matched to the observed values.

    Conclusion:

    There is nothing wrong with the system.

    To explain the surprising April results, we must invoke one of:  (a)
An error in our data calibration process, or (b) An effect related to
the strong calibrator observed, or (c) Something was wrong with the
system then.