[evlatests] WIDAR-0: fast (Hz-ish) oscillations

Michael Rupen mrupen at nrao.edu
Wed Jun 17 11:04:20 EDT 2009

Fast Amplitude/Phase Wobbles
----------------------------
mpr 17jun09

Most of the results below are based on several data sets taken on Tuesday
16jun09, each a few seconds long, with time resolutions of 10 or 20 msec.
The sources with 3C84 (mostly) or 3C273 (towards the end).

Note that these observations are NOT sensitive to the phase oscillations
seen by Rick on baseline 2-18 in the 13jun09 X-band data.  Those +/-3
degree oscillations had much longer periods, of order a few minutes.

These data were taken AFTER the antenna moves, and AFTER the fiber switch
between antennas 25 and 28.  The antenna/WIDAR-0 setup was therefore
as follows (the * indicates the fiber swap; "m" indicates an antenna which
has been moved recently):

Slot         Rack 1                Rack 2                 Rack 3
   0       sb0005 = ea19 = W 4   sb000a = ea25*= N 2m  sb0004 = ea18 = N16
   1       sb0010 = ea01 = W16   sb0009 = ea28*= N 8   sb0006 = ea23 = E18
   2       sb000c = ea02 = E 2   sb000b = ea24 = W14      --------
   3       sb0002 = ea09 = E 6   sb000e = ea03 = E16      --------

   ea25 used to be on pad N24.

The 16jun09 observations reported here used ONLY THE EIGHT ANTENNAS IN THE
FIRST TWO RACKS: {1 2 3 18 24 25 28}.

1. Rapid oscillations (in either amp or phase) for subbands > 0 are seen on
   only two baselines on 16jun09: 2-19 and 19-25.

   a. On 21may09 we checked antennas {1 3 9 18 19 24 25 28}, and
     found amp oscillations on baselines
       18-19 and 19-28,
     with one instance of
        1-25
     as well.  There may also be a slow oscillation on
       19-24.

     The possible "solidly bad" baselines observable on both 21may09 and
     16jun09 are thus
       {19-25  19-28}
     Both were observed on both days; the oscillation has moved from
     19-28 to 19-25, showing that this oscillation the StB or StB
     location (slot) rather than the antenna (see also d, below).

     18-19, seen on 21may09, was NOT seen on 16jun09.

   b. Subbands {1 2 3 4} show identical behavior.
     - On 21may09 we found that subband 6 showed a slightly different
       frequency from subband 2.

   c. The same bad baselines (and no others) are present in both C and
     X band data.
     - This was true on 21may09 as well.

   d. The frequencies of the oscillations, as measured in observations
     within a few minutes of each other, are as follows:

                       2-19            19-25
       C-amp        ------          +/- 3.3% 2   Hz
       C-phase    +/- 5  d 3 Hz     +/- 2.5d 4   Hz

       X-amp      +/- 1.8% 5 Hz     +/- 3.8% 4   Hz
       X-phase    +/- 3.5d 5 Hz     +/- 2.5d 7.5 Hz

       - Here the oscillation frequency scales with observing/fringe
         frequency (roughly a factor 2).
         **This was NOT true on 21may09.** We did not check this as
           carefully as on 16jun09, but did check the number of oscillations
           per unit time on the screen, and didn't notice any difference.

       - Note that the phases vary roughly a factor 2 more rapidly
         than the amplitudes on 19-25.  This doubling was seen for 19-28
         on 21may09, confirming that the oscillation tracks StB or StB
         location rather than antenna.

       A re-analysis of one set of 21may09 data (4sec with 10 msec dumps)
       gives:
                       1-25                 18-19             19-28
       X-amp      +/- 1.4% 10.75 Hz   +/- 3.3% 4.25 Hz  +/- 2.4% 0.8 Hz
       X-phase    +/- 5  d 10.75 Hz   +/- 2.5d 8.25 Hz  +/- 2.5d 1.8 Hz

         [Note that the 1-25 oscillation was not seen in other 21may09
          observations.]

       So on 21may09 both 18-19 and 19-28 showed the phase oscillating
       twice as fast as the amplitude.

       I attach plots of all these baselines.

   e. As on 21may09, the oscillation frequencies are at least 10x the natural
     fringe rate.

   f. Only one autocorrelation shows any sign of a fast wobble:
     antenna 2 shows an ~1 Hz wobble of +/- 0.3%.  The other antennas show
     no wobble to similar levels.  There is no sign of any fast wobble
     in the autocorrelations at the few % level seen in the
     cross-correlations -- any such wobble would be *very* obvious.

   g. We tried turning off fringe rotation and frequency shifting (i.e.,
     fshift= 0.0 and PhEN off on all correlator chips).  While the
     lagfan results are still confusing, showing phase jumps and bizarre
     slow amplitude drifts, there is no sign of the sorts of fast
     oscillations seen in normal observations.  BRENT will have to comment
     on whether this is meaningful.

   h. COMMENT: Slot 0 seems to be a bad place -- the offending baselines
     all involve Station Boards in slot 0, and for the worst baselines --
     and those with a phase oscillation twice as fast as the amplitude
     oscillation on 16jun09 -- both antennas occupy slot 0.

     The correlator setup uses a different Baseline Board for
     each subband, with a given chip location corresponding to a given
     baseline on each board.  We have occasionally tried correlating a
     "problem" baseline on a different chip, and didn't see any change
     in the resulting correlation.  If this is interesting we could do some
     more work here.

     The StB in Slot 0 provides DUMPTRIG as well as the reference clock (for the
     different antenna inputs) for the Baseline Board.  We could change
     the origin of DUMPTRIG if that sounds interesting; the reference clock
     is hard-wired.

2. I have not finished analyzing the 16jun09 subband 0 data, but a quick
   look shows the following.

   a. 21may09
     This repeats the matrix from my 21may09 e-mail, showing
     the variation frequencies (typically 10% in amp) measured on
     each baseline: numbers mean that many full cycles over 4 seconds;
     "--" means there was no obvious variation over that time.

               1    3    9   18   19   24   25   28
       W16   1     10   4.5 ---  ---  ---    7  ---
       E16   3          6   ---  ---  ---   16  ---
       E24   9              ---  ---  ---   11  ---
       N16  18                     5  3.25 ---   3
       W 4  19                        1    ---   0.5-1
       W14  24                             ---   ---
       N24  25                                   ---
       N 8  28

   b. 16jun09 -- the same matrix, now in cycles per 7 seconds. Note that
     we had antenna 2 instead of antenna 18, and exchanged the fibers
     for antennas 25 and 28.  Also this is C rather than X band (we observed
     X band on 21may09).

               1    3    9    2   19   24   25   28
             1     --   0.5 ---  ---  ---   --   1
             3          1   ---  ---  ---   --   2
             9              ---  ---  ---   --   0.7
             2                    ?   0.3? ---   --
            19                        ---  ---   2.5
            24                             ---   ---
            25                                   ---
            28

   c. COMMENTS
     - The two matrices look quite similar -- except that 28 now shows
       oscillations and 25 does not.  This says that the subband 0
       oscillations are also associated with StB/StB location rather than
       antenna.
     - The oscillations are much slower on 16jun09.  This may partly be
       because we observed at C band; we have X band data as well but
       I've not looked at that yet.
     - The antennas occur in two groups, associated with ODD and EVEN
       slot numbers: even slot-even slot pairs show oscillations, while
       odd slots do not.  This is highly reminiscent of the 180d phase flips,
       which are also sorted into these two groups.

Comments?  Inspirations?

                  Michael