[evlatests] Some off-center imaging tests/problems

George Moellenbrock gmoellen at nrao.edu
Mon Jul 13 21:43:03 EDT 2009

Hi Ed-

Re calibrating the delay in CASA...

How are you trying to do this?  BPOLY?   More information please.

I have found that an ordinary B solution does fine if you have sufficient
SNR/channel.

BPOLY cannot (yet) cope with cycle slips within the band.
However, I've found BPOLY's 1st order term detects the correct delay
(in some peculiar units) if the delay is small enough and has
no slips.

CASA does not care what the frequency order of the channels
is.  (Definitely true for sampled B; I am mostly sure for BPOLY.)

By early August, I should have a CLCOR-like task that will
permit manually correcting big delays.  I am also tinkering
with a delay detector within plotms (transform the padded
visibility spectrum and find the peak) that one can use
to plot baseline delays, and from which values for
feeding the CLCOR-like task can be determined.

This delay detector is, of course, the sort of front end
needed to make BPOLY handle arbitrarily large (within
reason) delays, too.....

-George