[evlatests] Antenna IDs and UV Coords O.K.

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 2 11:33:09 EDT 2009

    I have an observation of 0217+738 taken with the VLA and its
correlator, and another one, taken the preceding day at the same HA with
the EVLA.

    I have already noted that the UV coverages of each are the same.
But that was a global statement -- I plotted all baselines at once.

    I have now reviewed these two databases in detail.  The individual
antenna pairs (baselines) are in the same positions for each of the two
databases.  Hence, the antenna labels and the (uv) coordinates
associated with each baseline, are correct.

    I claim that the actual visibilities attached to each baseline are
wrong -- they belong to another pair.    Such a scrambling would
certainly account for all the problems we've seen in imaging the low
frequency (L and C band) datasets, and would also account for why the
X-band observations of 0217+738 have been so good -- nothing else in the
field, so it doesn't matter where the visibilities are gridded.