[evlatests] Deep VLA integration test

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 1 15:35:24 EDT 2009

    I reported yesterday that a WIDAR L-band image of our northern point
source showed no background sources, and had a disappointing dynamic
range.

    We decided to utilize a few hours of 'ESP' time last night to get a
deep integration of the field around 0217+738 using the VLA correlator,
to have a 'truth standard' to which we can compare any subsequent
testing.  Observations were made at L, C, and X bands, in ideal weather.

    Results:

    1) As expected, the 20cm (L-band) image is populated with dozens of
background sources.  The total flux in background sources is 123 mJy.
The peak is about 5.5 mJy.  (The calibrator source is 2500 mJy at this
frequency).  So, we need a DR of only ~1000 to see the brightest
background objects...   The VLA correlator image (2048 x 2048 to make
sure I got it all) has a formal DR of 62500 -- about the best we can
expect with the 50 MHz-wide continuum system without 'heroic efforts'.

    2) At 6cm, the field is blank, except for a single background source
(the same one as the peak background object at 20cm), with a peak of 1.3
mJy.  This is indeed the same source that I have seen in the WIDAR map
***** except that the position of the background source in the WIDAR map
is rotated by 180 degrees from its true position shown in the VLA
correlator map ***.
The peak flux in the WIDAR map is also about half of the correct
value.   At a minimum, we have the wrong signs of (u,v) for some, and
perhaps all, of the baselines.  A (u,v) plot of the initial hour of the
data from yesterday evening (taken at about the same time as the WIDAR
test the previous day) shows the (u,v) coverage to be the same, so it
looks to me that |u| and |v| are both correct -- i.e. the geometry is
basically right.  But some, or all the signs are wrong.

    3) At 3.6 cm, the field is completely blank other than the
calibrator itself.  The formal DR is 75000.

    I'll next do a more careful comparison of the (u,v,w) coordinates...