[evlatests] test observations with IF pairs > 4 GHz apart

David Harland dharland at nrao.edu
Thu Jan 22 18:23:19 EST 2009

Gustaaf,

With respect to Notes 1 and IF 1 having the higher frequency in AIPS:
the AC / BD swap was probably done by the script generation logic that
the OPT calls.  For bands K, Ka, and Q the logic looks to see if the
conversion path through the T303 is needed.  (That logic will say to use
the conversion path when the IFs are separated by about 3GHz, which is
the case here.)  For these bands, if the conversion path is required,
the software switches the IFs into legal positions -- that is, w/ A/C
being higher than B/D.

What surprises me is the statement about scans 7 & 8 not being
observed.  I would've expected them to have their IFs swapped, w/ the
results being the same as scans 6 & 4, respectively.  K, Ka, and Q use
the same block of logic and it looks like scan 3 had its IFs swapped.
Can you reconfirm the failure of those scans?

With respect to Notes 2, i don't know what the cause is.  Perhaps you
could forward a copy of the script (if not to everyone, then to me,
Brian T., Bryan B., Ken, and anyone else you think could help diagnose
this).

Thanks,
David