[evlatests] Results from WIDAR K-band test

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Dec 9 12:41:20 EST 2009

    Michael took some K-band test data on the late afternoon of Dec 3.
Twelve antennas were operating, observing two sources separated by about
6 degrees.  Dual polarization (RR,LL) was utilized, four 128 MHz-wide
subbands, with 512 channels for each polarization product -- 250 kHz
resolution.   A total of 30 minutes observing, with 1 second
averaging.   Scans were 90 seconds long, alternating between the two
strong (2.3, and 1.6 Jy) sources.

    In general, data quality was very good.  Exceptions are:

    1) Perfectly-zero records are back.  About 0.1% of the visibilities
are exactly zeros.

    2) About half the antennas had a notable phase jump between the
first and second scans.  Those seemingly affected are 2, 3, 19, 25, and
27.  Perhaps antenna 3 as well.  I flagged the first scan for all
antennas, to simplify matters...

    3) Antenna 27 was very weak throughout -- amplitudes down by a
factor of 3 (so it's like we had a constant offset, to the 10 dB power
point).  I flagged this antenna out.

    4) Antenna 19 was bizarre throughout:  three subbands in LCP (2, 3,
4) had ridiculous bandpass shapes -- I flagged all three.  All
polarizations had phase jumps for the first 6 minutes.  Following this,
the amplitudes all dropped by about 50%.  Amplitudes and phases were
stable thereafter. I removed the first 6 minutes, and crossed by fingers ...

    5) Phase stability was very poor, with smoothly changing phases, by
up to 100 degrees, throughout.  The amplitudes of these phase variations
clearly increases with baseline length, and there is good evidence that
the phases connect between sources, and the variations are identical
between polarizations and subbands -- all are consistent with an
atmospheric origin.  I hope the weather was truly bad on that evening ...

    I calibrated the data with a flat 6-hour average throughout.  After
removing the issues noted above, the stability in the bandpasses, and
between sources is very good.   There is nothing to indicate any
problems (but -- the sources are not really strong, and the scans are
short, so sensitivity is not great).  The differential bandpass
solutions (solutions made for each observations for each source) is dead
flat -- only noise is seen on all antennas.

    I ran POSSM, to check the connectivity of the subbands, for each
baseline, for each source, for each scan.  All amplitudes and phases
connect smoothly -- there are no subband (aka spectral window)
discontinuities at a level of ~1 percent.  The LCP window of subband 2
is occasionally displaced by a couple of percent w.r.t. the adjoining
windows (subbands), but this is seen equally for both sources, and I bet
it's caused by something fishy with the bandpass solutions.