[evlatests] WIDAR bronze dataset - C band dual pol.

Michael Rupen mrupen at nrao.edu
Fri Aug 7 11:32:53 EDT 2009

Hi Sanjay --

> By "attenuators fixed" do we mean that the automatic gain controllers
> are off?  I.e., does the magnitude of the signal to the samplers vary
> a lot?

Yes, AGCs are off.  The signal to the samplers will vary somewhat but not
enormously, especially with 8-bit samplers.  We turn off the attenuators for
two reasons: (1) since we don't scale by the total power (autocorr'n lag
zero), changing the attenuation leads to jumps in the recorded amplitude,
which makes it difficult to calibrate; (2) changes in the attenuation
sometimes lead to changes in the bandpass, which introduces another complexity
into the calibration and interpretation.

               Michael