[evlatests] EVLA & Satellite interference

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Apr 3 12:33:24 EDT 2009

    Thanks to Vivek for doing this.

    We do need to start thinking more seriously on these issues.  The
talk given this week by Gerry Harp explained another characteristic that
Bob and I had seen in our wideband S-band tips -- at elevations below
about 30 degrees, the spectra between about 3800 and 4200 MHz were
filled with a kind of 'trash'.  We were pointed towards the east.  It
now seems all this is from TV downlinks from geostationary satellites.
The effects of these signals were not huge -- at worst, Tsys (i.e. the
total power) at some frequencies was about doubled -- we have no worries
about saturation (unless we hit one dead-on).  But there are likely to
be large az/el areas where astronomical observing at some frequencies
cannot be usefully done.
    We need to start 'mapping' out these forbidden zones, and learning
more about just how deep we can go within them.