[evlatests] Flagging at scan beginnings

Jim Ulvestad julvesta at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 17 12:57:58 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Many of you are not VLBA afficionados, but this is a problem
that is similar to one we've had with the VLBA for many years.
In the case of the VLBA, it is caused by the fact that
not all antennas start moving off source at the
same instant, and so some records for some antennas
get assigned to the wrong source.  In the end, it was not
possible to deal with this in the monitor data without a lot
of unproductive work, so the "TAIL" option in QUACK was
invented.  Do you still get this error on EVLA when you
have a very long slew between scans, or is it only for
slews that last less than an integration time?  (Maybe
Gustaaf tested this, but I don't recall.)

What would happen if the executor started slewing the
antennas a few milliseconds before the end of the
scan?  Would we just move a similar error to the
previous scan?  Or would we have a visibility error
of magnitude (few msec/integration time) < 1% that
nobody would ever notice?  Or is even such a small
error enough to still cause problems with very high
dynamic range imaging?

Best,

Jim