[evlatests] Mystery temperature swings

Kevin Ryan kryan at nrao.edu
Thu Oct 16 12:27:34 EDT 2008

The WIDAR Prototype Correlator (PTC) is in a half-height rack sitting
in a corner in the outer screen room in the old VLA correlator room.
It contains 5 boards each with 5 or 6 temperature sensors.  While
developing software to monitor these temperatures, I've noticed a
weird oscillation that occurs for a ~ 2-hour period roughly centered
around midnight local time.  I've asked Ray Ferraro and Bob Broilo
about it but they did not know of anything that would cause it other
than that Ray stated that the temperature in that corner is affected
by the doors opening and closing.

So now I'm asking more people for ideas.  A graph of the temps on one
board (they are all similar) over the last two days can be seen here:
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/asg/widar/temps/mystery-ptc-temps.jpg

The swings from normal daily activity are apparent starting around
0600 - presumably from the door opening and closing and use of the
boards for testing - but what about those oscillations around midnight?

It is certainly possible that this is not being caused by ambient
temperature swings at all; like something going on on the boards
themselves or possibly even the data gathering system itself.  Can we
place a recorder near the PTC to monitor its ambient temperature for
24-hours?

Kevin