[evlatests] Feed alignment, and subreflector rotation

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue May 6 19:38:57 EDT 2008

    Holography was run last evening at K and Q bands to determine if our
troubles with implementing the subreflector rotation to offset
gravitational sag are due to misalignments of the feed.

    The short answer is:: Clearly Yes.

    Details:

    Holographic rasters were run on 3C286 near transit (elevation 80
degrees).  The raster was 13 x 13, with oversampling of three -- this
gets us out to the 2nd null, and allows careful examination of the
data.   Referenced pointing was done to align the main beam.  We are
looking for the asymmetry in the first sidelobe, indicative of a
misalignment in the optics.

    Beam maps were made of the non-referenced antennas (7 VLA antennas
were utilized as non-moving references, to safeguard against spatial and
temporal phase gradients).  The holography program solved for the
equivalent misalignment of the subreflector.

    The results are very clear.  There are misalignments of up to 11
millimeters in the subreflector position, largely in the 'Y' (vertical
direction with the antenna pointed at the horizon) coordinate, with
almost all antennas having the same sign of the offset.  The measured
phase error across the antenna aperture shows a sinusoidal variation of
peak-peak amplitude of ~90 degrees for the ~6 worst antennas -- this
degrades forward gain by about 1 dB (25%).    For these antennas, the
beam maps show a large coma lobe -- the first sidelobe on one side of
the main beam is essentially non-existant, while the opposite side is
about double its normal amplitude.

    Most encouraging -- the antennas for which the subreflector rotation
'trick' appeared to work in the data taken from the previous night are
exactly those for which the misalignments as measured last night are
small.  The converse is also true in all cases -- the worst failures in
the subreflector rotation are exactly those for which holography shows
the largest 'Y' offsets.  This strongly indicates that the 'trick' is
coded correctly, and our difficulties with its application are entirely
due to feed subreflector/feed alignment issues.

    Ken and I are discussing methods to efficiently measure the
misalignment through rotation of the subreflector in small increments,
followed by vertical beam cuts.